About St Mary's
There has been a centre of Christian worship on this site from at least the 12th century.The parts of the medieval church which survive today are the tower, some of the nave arcading (mid-15th century) and the Bishop West Chapel, built in the early 16th century by Putney resident, Nicholas West.
During the Civil War, the headquarters of Oliver Cromwell’s army was briefly located in Putney. In 1647, meetings of the Army Council were held in the then Chancel of the church. These discussions on the future government of the realm were published as the “Putney Debates”.
The Victorians substantially rebuilt and enlarged the church in 1836; it then featured an east – facing Altar, galleries on three sides and box pews.
In 1973 an arson attack gutted much of the church. Rebuilding was not completed until 1982, when the church was re-hallowed by the Bishop of Woolwich, on February 6th.